Aaron, Kristin & Brooklynn

Aaron, Kristin & Brooklynn

Thursday, September 11, 2014

Spicy Sausage Pasta

So I am getting sick and can't breathe/sleep so I decided to blog instead of lay in bed bored. This recipe is a staple in the Smith house. We eat it every other week if not every week. It is super easy and only uses one pot. What could be better than that? 


This recipe is actually the last meal I had before Brooklynn was born. I jokingly said to Aaron "I'm gonna spice this baby out of me". Little did we know about 6 hours later my water would break. It really isn't that spicy but I definately couldn't eat it while nursing and was super bummed. Hope you guys enjoy! 


Spicy Sausage Pasta

(serves 4)


1 tbsp olive oil
1 lb smoked sausage
1.5 cups diced onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 (10 oz) can Ro-Tel tomatoes and green chiles, Mild
1/2 cup heavy cream
8 oz penne pasta
1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper, each
1 cup Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
1/3 cup thinly sliced scallions


1. Add olive oil to an oven-safe skillet over medium high heat until just smoking. Add sausage and onions and cook until lightly browned, about 4 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.

2. Add broth, tomatoes, cream, pasta, salt and pepper and stir. Bring to a boil, cover skillet, and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer until pasta is tender, about 15-20 minutes or until pasta is tender. I sometimes add a little extra water or cream because it might take a little longer. 

3. Remove skillet from heat and stir in 1/2 cup cheese. Top with remaining cheese and sprinkle with scallions. 




No comments:

Post a Comment