Aaron, Kristin & Brooklynn

Aaron, Kristin & Brooklynn

Sunday, September 14, 2014

Crockpot Pulled Pork (or Chicken)

Sunday's are my favorite days to do crockpot meals. I can put it in before church and when I get home dinner is about done, all I have to do is make some sides. Yesterday Brooklynn caught my nasty cold and hasn't been herself so I wanted something easy and low stress. I decided I wanted to make pulled pork but didn't have a good recipe for it. So I turned to my recipe book and saw Regina Smithson's pulled chicken recipe and took a shot at it with pork. IT WAS FANTASTIC!! This recipe really reminds me of home being from TN. When I was in highschool my friends and I would go to a local place called Strouds that has the best pulled pork sandwiches. What makes it so good is their tomato based BBQ sauce. If I could perfect that recipe I would be set. For now, I have my homemade, easy peasy, 3 ingredient pulled pork.
This recipe makes a lot so I usually half it. 

3-4 lbs chicken breast (or pork loin)
1 20 oz bottle coke or dr. pepper
1 small bottle Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce 
salt/pepper to taste

In crockpot mix coke or dr. pepper with 1/2 the bottle of BBQ sauce and salt/pepper. Place chicken (or pork) in crock pot. Cook on high for 2 hours then reduce to low for 4-5 hours. Once cooked, reserve 1/2 cup of juices; set aside.  Discard the rest of the liquid.  Shred pork. Return reserved juices to crockpot. Mix in other half of the BBQ sauce. (keep in mind that if you are halfing the recipe be sure to half the BBQ sauce too. It will be way too much sauce).  Serve with hamburger buns or hawaiian rolls. 

Aaron likes to top it with a little tabasco sauce and I like a dab more of BBQ sauce. We eat it with either green beans or corn and sometimes a variety of potato. 

Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment