Aaron, Kristin & Brooklynn

Aaron, Kristin & Brooklynn

Saturday, August 18, 2012

New York City

Last Saturday Aaron and I decided to head to NYC before he started school and to celebrate our 3 year anniversary. We headed out from our apartment in Edison down the street to the train station (took us about 15 min to walk). It was my first time on a train (and even my first time to the city) so it was pretty exciting. We arrived at Madison Square Garden at NY Penn Station.

We headed out of the train station and I wanted to see Madison Square Garden where the NY Rangers play but it is under renovation so they won't let anyone take tours so a picture in front will have to do.
I have always wanted to see Time Square so we headed up the street to 42nd where it starts. Boy were we there at the wrong time. Pictures first and then I will explain.
 A bazillion people in the square- I couldn't believe it.





we had to get a picture of this..
 

So remember when I said we were in the wrong place at the wrong time. See above picture. Its not too good but there are cops and cop cars racing down 7th avenue after a man with a knife. Here is the story: We got to the corner of 7th and 42nd (the start of Time Square) and I am just looking around amazed at everything. I look in the middle of the road and there is a cop van with a cop hanging out the side with his gun up. I then feel Aaron grab my arm and he takes off running (and all the people around us too). I look back and there is a guy with a 12 inch butcher knife dancing/hopping and yelling down the street. I then see about 10-15 cops with their guns pulled pointed at the man. This is where it gets scary. The cops are in a half moon around the man (whom we are about 20 feet away from). The cop on the far side who is looking right at us has his gun pulled and its in our direction. If he were to shoot and miss it would have come right at us. At that point everyone is still running around trying to take cover. We realizes we are running in the direction the guy is going so we reverse and duck into a cafe (along with other people). The people and workers in the cafe were so confused at why everyone was running in. People start to explain what is going on and while I am sitting on the side starting to cry. We later learned that the cops tried to pepper spray him 6 times and he wouldn't stop. He lunged at the cops and they shot and killed him. Remember we were on 42nd- he was shot and killed on 38th. I am so glad that I didn't hear the gun shots because I would have gone home then. Can I just remind you that this is my first time in the city and we had been there a total of 20 minutes. GREAT FIRST IMPRESSION NEW YORK. Aaron calms me down and we decide to head uptown in the opposite direction of the deranged man.  

We headed up to Ed Sullivan theatre so that I could see where David Letterman is shot. Kinda sad they don't do tours but oh well.



We then headed to the Radio City Music hall and stopped and took a picture with Lady Liberty ($3 for a picture- they really do charge for everything out here).
We didn't go up to the observation deck but it's still cool to see the outside.

We saw this lovely gem while heading down the street. I actually saw 2 other men dressed in women clothing but was too close to take a picture.


We were right by Rockefeller Plaza so we swung by there to see where they put the Christmas tree (see above picture). It's also cool to see where they put the ice rink in the winter (the one that you always see on TV and in the movies). I want to go back to NYC in the winter (without knifes and strange men) and see the tree and go ice skating.
Side Note: This is the cafe that saved our lifes. I thank you europa cafe for being built.



We headed to the subway (first time on a subway too- not bad but really hot and kinda gross). We wanted to see the new building at ground zero and also see the memorial fountain that was built. We didn't know if we needed tickets or not but just took the trip anyways. We got there and found out you needed to make a reservation to see it (even though its free) and all the reservations were gone for the day. Sometime when we go back we will plan it so that we can see the fountain. We walked around the corner and saw the above building being built. They are huge and very beautiful. We also stopped by the memorial shop and saw pictures and video from 9/11. I walked around and looked at the pictures of the tragedy that happened and it made me tear up. It was crazy for me to be right next to where it happened.

All in all our trip was great, minus the crazy man and guns pointed in our direction. When we headed home I called my mom and told her the story (and she handled it pretty well). We then called Aaron's sister Lindsey and told her because she has been to NYC many time. She said nothing like that has ever happened to her- she said it was just something special for me. She is coming out here in a couple weeks to visit so hopefully when we go back all will be good.
I am grateful that we were kept safe while traveling and that Aaron had the quick reaction to get us out of harms way. Until next time New York.



No comments:

Post a Comment